Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Shrimp Mock-o's

So I started Atkins (and by that I mean I'm trying to be as Atkins-y as possible but fully accepting that I won't be following it to the letter) and I'm using it as an excuse to find fun new recipes. Today I invented something that was, in my humble opinion, SUPER TASTY, as well as mostly low-carb. Not to mention "meat" free for lent. Trifecta! Since Mom and Dad are also doing the Atkins dance I felt I should share. Brace yourself. And before you get to thinking I'm some kind of culinary genius, know that Pioneer Woman really invented this, I just tweaked it.

First go here and make PW's firecracker shrimp. It's a two parter but if you skip to page two you get the simple, picture free recipe at the end. I added a tablespoon of lime juice to mine which is in my opinion quite nice. Once those tasty little buggers are done, you get to my invention.

You'll just need some guacamole (homemade if you have a minute) and some kind of lettuce. I used butter lettuce because it's folds up nice around other foods and doesn't break apart. It's the soft shell of the lettuce world. Take a leaf of lettuce and put some guac in it and then add a few shrimpies. I was as generous as the lettuce would allow. I recommend it. I ate two and I'm full. These things are pretty dang yummy if I do say so myself.

If you want to make homemade guac, my approach is as follows (I eyeball everything so forgive the inexact amounts just taste it and decide what it needs more of. Just go with a little less than you think because you can always add more!):

  • 1 avocado (of average size...)
  • 1/2 a tomato (or three grape tomatoes...it's what I had...)
  • garlic salt (a good shake)
  • lime juice (a good squirt)
  • paprika (a dash)
  • chili powder (a couple good dashes...or three)
  • cilantro (if you are lucky enough to have fresh a small clump, if it's dry... a couple shakes)

Mush up everything but the tomatoes and once it's the consistency you want dice the tomatoes up small and stir them in. VoilĂ ! It only takes a few minutes for a small amount and with good soft avocados. It's definitely worth it to make your own. Much yummier that way.

Also Atkins friendly and a delicious treat and supplement to your mock-o's, a diet Sierra Mist (I like the grapefruit kind). Om nom!

No comments:

Post a Comment